Saturday 8 August 2009

Electric Depths

I’ve dipped my ears into a sea of different sounds recently. My tastes have always digressed or conflicted from a genre I’ll love a fortnight before, but I’d never change my erratic musical state. Here’s some thoughts on the artists that have tickled my folk fancy and reflected sparkles onto my top to dance to.

Black Ghosts ‘Some Way Through This’ starts with an immediate beat; a sort of slow motion sound that’s stuck on repeat. It oozes dark sensuality, with violins whip lashing the electric undercurrent. Simon Lord’s vocals glide effortlessly alongside, with a raw soul tinge. There’s something quite delicately epic about his voice, which suits this down tempo dance number. So if you’re fancying some loud ambience in your house, Black Ghosts are definitely worth a listen.

Cocorosie’s ‘Animals’ sounds like a crackled vintage fairytale, discovered in a dusty attic that’s been unloved until now. The fragile vocals echo and melt into the mist of the song, with child-like instruments plucking and chiming in the background in such a playful manner. What marks Cocorosie is their ability to mix kooky fairytales with a darker side that is waiting to be discovered if the listener wishes. And the more I listen to them, the more intricate and beautiful songs like ‘Animals’ become.

Bat For Lashes ‘Sleep Alone’ shows off Natasha’s whimsical vocals perfectly. With a beat that increases in intensity, so too does the notes she reaches. It’s a mark of something beautiful when vocals soar so high they almost disappear. The song is like a modern twist on Kate Bush, where angelic dance meets Bjork inspired moments. I really hope the album this song was taken from, ‘Two Suns’, gets more recognition through a Mercury Award, as I think Bat For Lashes have adapted a perfect balance between nostalgia and modern sounds.

The Raveonette’s ‘Christmas Song’ shows how out of season sync I can be. I also find myself behind the times with artists, either liking a band after the ‘buzz’ has been and gone, or discovering a gem that’s yet to be uncovered. And I guess this song ticks both boxes. It melts into sleepy lyrics and vocals, where ‘Santa comes to town’ in the August sun. There’s an air of simplicity to it, with nothing drastic or loud. But the dark song stretches out of the shadows and finds a place in my heart, come snow or shine.

Kitsune’s remix of Siobhan Donaghy’s ‘Don’t Give Up’ was introduced to me thanks to Wonky chap Al. The vocals sound like electric slow motion, with the ex Sugababe’s vocals soaring and echoing like a darkened angel. I guess that ironically ties in with a Sugababes album called ‘Angels With Dirty Faces.’ But thankfully Siobhan’s solo effort is an eclectic step in a better direction, with Kitsune adding an experimental edge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment